is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC
This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
55. Istanbul Jewelry Show | 17 - 20 April 2024
56. Istanbul Jewelry Show | 02 - 05 October 2024
Venue | Istanbul Expo Center
Estimate Reading Time: 3 min
Published on May 2023
Jewelry that is produced in an environmentally friendly way by preserving both natural and human resources is called sustainable jewelry. With sustainable jewelry, it is possible to reduce environmental pollution, support local communities, protect workers' rights and emphasize the importance of natural resources. Sustainable jewelry, which has become the trend of recent times; It can be produced using recycled materials or certified sustainable sources. In this process, environmentally friendly production techniques are used and waste management is carried out. Thus, while protecting nature by minimizing harmful emissions and wastes, social responsibility is fulfilled on the other hand. In the sustainable jewelry trend, the rights of workers responsible for the production, sale or repair of jewelry are also respected and encouraged to work for fair wages. Community unity is ensured by supporting local communities in production and sales. In this way, it is possible to obtain environmentally friendly jewelry that preserves its value and meaning for years, unlike traditional jewelry. Sustainable jewellery, which offers long-term investment opportunities to its buyers, are products that contribute to making the environment and society more livable.
Examples of sustainable jewelry designed using a variety of materials and techniques include:
• Sustainable jewelry can be designed with organic or renewable materials such as wood, leather, shell or bamboo.
• It is possible to create completely different jewels by redesigning second-hand or vintage jewelry. In this example, it is a sustainable solution as existing products are used instead of new resources. At the same time, second-hand or vintage jewelry brings a historical texture and a meaningful past.
• Diamonds or stones produced in the laboratory may have physical and chemical properties similar to natural ones. Thus, it is possible to produce sustainable jewelry without using natural resources.
• Sustainable jewelry made from recycled silver and gold enables the production of environmentally friendly jewelry.
The importance of sustainable jewelry that conserves natural resources, values workers' rights, cares for the environment and promotes fair trade practices is:
• In the production of sustainable jewelry, environmental pollution is minimized during mining activities, natural resources are protected and harmful wastes are reduced.
• One of the most important elements underlying sustainable jewelry is social responsibility. It is possible to contribute to the development of society with sustainable solutions that support local production and workers' rights.
• Sustainable jewelry, enabling investment in the future, offers valuable designs that can be passed down from generation to generation.
• Sustainable jewelry, based on many frameworks such as the environment, society, workers and locality, contributes to the development of social responsibility awareness.
The interest in sustainable jewelry continues to increase day by day in societies with a growing awareness of environmental and social responsibility. Brands, on the other hand, protect natural resources, pay attention to recycling activities and minimize the amount of emissions in order to meet the sustainable jewelry demands of consumers. You can also examine environmentally friendly and valuable sustainable jewelry designs handed down to future generations and make a special investment.